How to Apply
Completed applications must be received no later than February 1 for fall enrollment. Students admitted for the fall semester may, if they wish, begin taking classes in the summer session preceding that fall term. Applications must be complete in order to be considered.
A full application includes:
- A completed application form for the Graduate School and official transcripts from all institutions attended. The UM Graduate School application form is available online. The fee is $40.
- GRE general test scores (quantitative and verbal).
- A writing sample of 10 pages of poems (single-spaced is fine) or no more than 20 pages of fiction (double-spaced).
- A statement of purpose about entering the program that also indicates if the applicant wishes to be considered for a teaching assistantship or fellowship. The statement should indicate the applicant’s background and experience, as well as any academic or career goals. There is no separate application for a teaching assistantship or fellowship.
- Complete the UM Graduate School online application form and send transcripts and GRE scores to the Graduate School. The UM Graduate School also has information on due dates.
- Send the recommendations, if you’re sending hard copies, writing sample, and statement directly to the Department of English at
University of Mississippi: Fiction or Poetry*
Department of English
C128 Bondurant Hall – PO Box 1848
University, MS 38677
*Please note whether the sample is fiction or poetry upon sending*