Short is the author of three volumes of poetry and three chapbooks. Flying Over Sonny Liston, his second book, won the Western States Book Award, and he has work in the current Pushcart Anthology. He has served as poetry editor for Hayden’s Ferry Review andShankpainter. A past Stegner fellow at Stanford and fellow at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown, he has been on the faculty at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Old Dominion University, and the University of California, Davis. He was a guest lecturer at the University of Tirana in Albania, and he recently lived four years in Guatemala.
- Stanford University (Two-year Stegner Fellowship)
- M.F.A. in Creative Writing, Arizona State University
- M.A. in English, California State University at Sacramento
- B.A. in English, California State University at Fresno
- 10 Moons and 13 Horses
- Theory of Twilight
- Flying Over Sonny Liston (Western States Book Award for Poetry, 1996)